What to Expect
Pre-Op, Services, and Follow Up Care
Fill out Registration Paperwork and bring into your first visit with us.
Post Operative Care & Instructions
Now that your root canal has been completed, the inflamed or infected tissue that was inside your tooth is now gone. It is normal to feel some tenderness in the area over the next several days. This soreness is due to inflammation around the root of the tooth and inflammation in the jaw muscles or joint from being open for an extended period of time. Your tooth should feel better each day. These symptoms are temporary and are usually controlled with over-the-counter medication. Our recommendation is an over-the-counter anti-inflammatory such as Ibuprofen. A good anti-inflammatory dose would be 600mg – 800mg Ibuprofen every 6 hours for a healthy adult. If you are unable to take Ibuprofen, please contact us for an alternative pain medication. Remember that narcotic medications, if prescribed, may make you drowsy, and caution should be taken in operating machinery or driving. Narcotic pain medication can also upset your stomach. It is best to take these medications with food.
If your tooth continues to cause pain please contact the office at (334) 793-7687.
Guidelines for Post-Treatment Care
- Do not eat until the numbness has worn off. This will prevent you from biting your cheek or tongue.
- Do not eat any hard foods (such as ice or popcorn) on the tooth for 3–4 days after the root canal has been completed. No chewing gum.
- If you have a temporary filling, do not chew or bite on the tooth until it has been restored by your general dentist.
- Brush and floss your teeth as you normally would.
- If you have a temporary filling, it is not unusual for a thin layer or small piece to break off between appointments. If you feel that the entire filling has come out, then please contact us.
- Please contact us if you experience any severe pain or swelling.
Within 2-3 weeks you need to return to your general dentist for a permanent restoration unless told otherwise by Dr. Carroll.
Contact Our Office
220 Healthwest Dr., Ste 1
Dothan, AL 36303
(334) 793 – 7687
220-1 Healthwest Drive
Dothan, AL 36303